[geeks] DSL and a second phone line - follow up

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Fri Oct 14 21:03:23 CDT 2005

Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Shop has a DSL line - phone and data are on the same 2 pair.  The run
> back from the jack the punchdown for the building has 8 wires all told.
>
> A second line is ordered (two business are sharing the space - the
> fellow comes out does the install and leaves.
>
> The new jack is using another two wires in the same run.  After my
> partner hooked up his phone to the new line .. it's got a ton of noise
> on the line - to the point where you can't hear the other party over the
> loud metallic HUMMMMMMMMM sound.
>
> Is the DSL in the same run - but another wire pair - to blame?  I mean
> generally because I know y'all can't cover over and poke at the wiring . .

Thanks for the tips.  I wasn't there but my partner was when SBC showed
up.  Details are sketchy but Something Important wasn't hooked up at the
punchdown block in the basement.

Which begs the question - was the installer incompetant or did he dork
up the job on purpose?

---
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator
Liftport

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks