[geeks] Education

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Oct 5 14:00:53 CDT 2005

> > I get it now.  You assumed the student learned it in the first place, so
> > why do it again.  Unfortunately, that is not always the case.
>
> No, I didn't assume, I know the student learned it in the first place.

Hmmmmm....do you know in every case?  I don't.  Even if I quiz that period
it may not be retained.

> Useless repetition and busy work labeled "homework and study" is one
> of the major problems with public education.  They use it in place of
> teaching.

Actually major problems with education are due to people who have no idea
what it's like to teach becoming experts on the subject, college professors
publishing articles (without peer review) on the "right way to teach",
politicians who use the "raise the bar" sound bites to get elected and
students and parents that play the system.

> > Also, unfortunately, we are graded all our lives.....job performance,
> > credit rating, etc.
>
> True.

And how many job are repetative?  :)

Bob