[geeks] Education

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 3 10:14:53 CDT 2005

Sun, 02 Oct 2005 @ 17:26 +0000, wa2egp at att.net said:

> > Evidently, because I said the homework I had to do was busywork.
> >
> > I didn't say all of it was, and even suggested that removing most of it
> > would allow the student to come up with their own.
> >

> I really doubt that would happen.  Most students would not do any homework
> whether they came up with it on their own or not.

So assign some *useful* homework.

I never said don't have any at all.

I certainly came up with my own homework though, and I was hardly alone.
I just couldn't do it when buried with too much useless assigned work.

> > No, it isn't feel good, it's called learning properly.
>
> In your opinion.

I'm talking about letting a student move forward who need to move
forward.

That's just the right thing, not a matter of opinion.

Then again, who knows... maybe you think that gravity is also just my
opinion.

> Too much homework that is given is rote (depending on grade level) and
> I know what you mean.  I never give an assignment of "memorize the symbols
> the of first twelve elements" as an example.

[ snip ]

That's what I've been trying to say...

As far as what I mean by mastering, I mean learning the subject, and
don't know how else to qualify that.  I certainly don't mean rote
memorization.

In public schools, rote memorization skills (and a little ass-kissing)
would get you through every program with perfect grades.  At least
that's how it was where I grew up.

Those of us who lacked that skill were in trouble.

> And we go over it the next day.  I don't think that's useless.

What you described wouldn't be.  It's just that when I was in school, it
often wasn't like that.  We got tons of homework, but it wasn't useful
or used very well.

There were exceptions of course: some students risked their careers to
buck the system and teach properly.  One of my best teachers was fired
for daring to actually teach.

> > You have a wierd notion of busywork.
>
> Yes I do.
>
> > It's busywork if it serves no useful purpose.
>
> Wouldn't that be homework that is given and not reviewed so a
> student could correct their mistakes/mis-learning?

Feedback would be better, but if doing the work is useful, then it isn't
busywork.

Especially in college, I had a lot of ungraded homework.  Basically if
you didn't do it, you failed.

I did a lot of homework over the years that would have been pretty well
impossible to grade, and I would hate to have seen all assignments
reduced to only things which were easy for the teacher to grade or give
feedback on.

> Now we are getting students that feel so good about themselves, they don't
> "have" to learn or do any work.  "I'm here, therefore I deserve an A"
> Yeah..sure.  That is what call a "feel good" education.

It's just yet another form of political corruption (a better term than
political correctness sometimes).

> I'd rather have a student feel good about themselves because they're
> able to solve a problem or handle some kind of challenge whether
> they're interested in my subject or not.  I see this when I go over
> homework that I assign.

That's great, and hopefully you see it outside of homework as well,
since that's a poor metric alone.

> If you think that's worthless...fine.

No idea what you are talking about, since I never said that, or implied
it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty