[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 1 23:39:51 CDT 2005

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 @ 14:29 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> And this is just one more reason why I will NEVER, EVER run Gnome on my
> desktop.

Well, I run it because it does do a few things I like.

That, and my X configuration is 15 years old now, and I'm way too lazy
to update it.  I stopped maintaining it two years ago, and it never was
the most fun thing to do.

I've been thinking about it though.

Oh, and if you run some of the Gnome/KDE applications without the
environment, they look horrible and/or lack critical functions.

Given how much software which I like now requires one or the other, it
is getting harder to just say no.

My machine is fast enough that it doesn't even notice the overhead of
Gnome, but I still hate just knowing it is there.

Some of the Gnome guys are OK though, and have made a lot of
improvements in performance.  It just seems like they are a minority.
I also wonder if they can keep up as Gnome gets ever more ambitious.

Of course, even baseline operating systems are starting to get kind of
crazy.

Anyone looked closely at FreeBSD 5.x?  They really crammed a lot of
stuff in there since 4.x.

...which reminds me:

    http://www.dragonflybsd.org

I installed it today.  Nice installer, no issues, and you can run it as
a live CD to play with it before installing.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]