[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 1 11:24:02 CDT 2005

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 @ 12:19 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> > Phil Stracchino wrote:
> >>Hear hear.  The dependency tree for ANYTHING that uses even tiny parts
> >>of Gnome is insane, because the dependency tree for Gnome itself is
> >>insane.  (I remember there was one period when you could not compile
> >>Gnome from source on a machine that did not already have Gnome
> >>installed, because somehow they'd managed to get *VERTICAL* cyclic
> >>dependencies.)
> >
> > This is completely inexcusable.  Don't these people do any testing?
>
> One presumes they tested it, but they'd clearly never done a properly
> controlled release process that included building it in a clean testing
> environment.

It not that they don't test at all.

They do not *care* about the dependencies.

A lot of the primary developers *LIKE* them, and don't understand why
you would not want all of it too.

Else why would the taskbar clock depend on Evolution, the Gnome clone
of Microsoft Outlook, and things like that?

I have talked to several of them for some time, and they really don't
understand why I dislike having to install things like Evolution.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any