[geeks] [rescue] Video card request

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:30:29 CST 2005

On 11/30/05, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some areas in the last Castle Wolfenstein were destructible, and
> the PS2 game Red Faction (and sequels, but not sure about the PC
> version) had some destructible areas.  Also, iirc Battlefield 1942
> (or was it Call to Duty?) had some destructible elements.
>
> I also think Deus Ex, Theif, Delta Force, and Splinter Cell had some
> destructible elements.
>
> I don't play FPS myself, though.
>
> =Nadine=

The PC version of Red Faction (and sequels) had the same quasi-destructible
environments as the PC version.  I remember wasting so much time with that
in the demo, as there was an area that was a big room that just had tons of
weapons and ammo in it, trying to see how far through the wall I could
tunnel.

Personally, I'd love to see more destructable areas/objects in games where
it makes sense.  I'm playing through Call of Duty 2 right now, and I'd love
to be able to throw a grenade at a German soldier hiding behind some barrels
and have it take out not only the soldier, but the barrels as well.  Same
thing with the levels where you're facing enemy artillery fire; have it hit
randomly (or at least pseudorandomly, so there's still some safe paths) and
create a new crater wherever it hits, instead of always landing in one of
the same N predetermined spots.  I think in some of these war games like
Call of Duty and the Battlefield games (and probably some of the other types
of FPSes as well)  it'd really add a lot to it, but I don't really care if
I'm playing Unreal Tournament and when I miss someone with a rocket it
destroys whatever it hits.