[geeks] [rescue] Video card request

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:48:56 CST 2005

On 11/28/05, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I never bought Doom 3 in the end because, despite all the wonderful
> graphics it promised, just about everything I read about it everywhere
> indicates that you spend about 80% of the game stumbling around in pitch
> darkness equipped with weapons, a flashlight, and apparently not the
> wits to duct-tape the latter to the former so you can use both at once.
>
> <snip>
>
> The original Quake was so wonderfully atmospheric,
> everything was pervaded with an air of imminent ethereal menace ... and
> they've never managed to recapture it since.  (And it was immensely
> gratifying to kite a Shambler around and use it as an anti-Vore weapon.)
>

> --
> Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
>     Renaissance Man, Unix generalist, Perl hacker
> Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518

The site for it seems to be down, but someone made a mod that did just that,
at least with the machine gun and shotgun.  Sometimes I don't mind the dark
atmosphere of Doom 3, because if I turn all the lights off and put my
headphones on I get really immersed and on edge, always wondering what's
going to jump out at me from the darkness next.  But after a while it does
get very tedious.  And I agree with you 100% that the original Quake had an
awesome atmosphere that they've yet to come close to recapturing.  Every
time a new QuakeC mod/partial conversion came out I wanted to play with, I'd
load up one of the four episodes and play my way through it to check out the
new goodies the mod added.  I knew every level forwards and backwards and
yet I never got tired of it.

Also, back to the original subject of this thread, I just recently upgraded
to a 6600GT from my Radeon 8500LE, so now the Radeon is just sitting
around.  If you're interested contact me off-list and we'll hammer out the
details.