[geeks] Walgreens software, was Quicktime 7 Pro missing stuff?

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Sat Nov 26 14:18:30 CST 2005

shannon at widomaker.com writes:

>Going off-toptic, but related in spirit: I just saw the latest release
>of Quicken for Windows.  This is a paid-for commercial software program,
>and the user interface is jammed full of advertisements.  They are built
>into the features of the program.  For example, use certain functions
>and you are basically sent to a GUI advertisement that uses a fee based
>service.  Same thing is showing up in image processing software too.

>I think software has reached the Walgreens stage: the point at which
>every program ties to be every other program and also tries to
>constantly sell you stuff, upgrades included, just as now every store
>tries to be every other store, and bombards you with ads even though you
>are already inside.

I've been comparing it to the magazine model. Magazines aren't
actually targeted at the reader, they're targeted at the advertizer.

The end user is no longer the primary concern for many commercial
software developers. At least, in the home desktop market.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
------- If it wasn't for good luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -------