[geeks] Greylisting?

Tue Nov 22 12:43:28 CST 2005

> Greylisting stops one type of mail, [spam],

...at the price of imposing a cost on senders for all types of mail.

> When I implemented greylisting, SPAM volumes dropped by 90%+.

This is no surprise.  Push work off to other people and the workload
you see drops.

> SpamAssassin prevented it from showing up in my inbox, but I was
> still wasting cycles and bandwidth with it.

So instead you prefer to waste other people's cycles and bandwidth with
*non*-spam (not SPAM, which is a Hormel trademark for a processed meat
product) mail.  How kind of you.

> Does this abuse other people's mail servers?  I think the abuse level
> is much lower than the abuse SPAM and viruses cause, and is much
> lower than you made it out to be.

Ah yes.  "My abuse is just a drop in the bucket compared to what's out
there, and therefore you shouldn't object to it".  I don't get how
otherwise rational and sensible people can advance this argument in
(apparently) total seriousness.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca