[geeks] Greylisting?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Nov 22 06:54:09 CST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:03:49 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> My initial reaction was "that's just WRONG and bad and liable to lose
> mail".. but tons of people seem to be using it.

It's very effective at causing administrators of large mail servers to
explode with rage (they're a short tempered bunch). It shouldn't cause
any real mail server to lose mail, but some Microsloth servers have been
known to drop their load on the floor in such situations (so nothing new
there).

As a compromise between being hostile to other mail servers, and the
effectiveness of greylisting, you could greylist *just* suspicious
connections ... IP in BL's, IP with no rDNS, rDNS matches range
of dynamic-type hostnames, etc.