[geeks] interesting cvs/shell problem

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Nov 16 10:31:23 CST 2005

I use CVS over ssh to store sources on my NetBSD server.

My shell startup files have these lines in them:

CVS_RSH=ssh
CVSROOT=<path to remote CVS>

This is for bash version 3.x on a Linux box where I do most of my
editing.

cvs can see the CVSROOT variable when it runs, but not CVS_RSH.

Both work fine if my startup script explicitely exports those variables.

That leads to an obvious question though: why would export be needed for
one environment variable and not the other?

Am I missing something really obvious, or is there something funky going
on here?

Also, does anyone know how to get the Bourne shells to tell you which
variables have been marked for export? Seems like a missing feature when
you are trying to debug problems like this.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall