[geeks] Can I netboot a SPARCclassic from Win95 box?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Nov 11 03:57:15 CST 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:21:09 +0100 (MET)
"Arno Kletzander" <Arno_1983 at gmx.de> wrote:

> We already had this thread some months ago and it was declared that
> the problem was the unavailability of a machine capable of answering
> RARP requests on my network.
>
> I couldn't find a server that would easily integrate into the
> environment I'm used to
Arno, why don't you just bite the bulltet and use a *BSD box for the
netbooting stuff? There is an excellent netboot HOWTO on the NetBSD web
site.

I don't say that you should use the BSD machine for actual developement,
use it as a netboot appliance. Install SAMBA on the BSD box to export
the netboot directory to your Win95 machine. You can do everything on
your Win95 machine, when you got a bootable image simply copy it to the
netboot share and fire up your target. Once instaled you don't have to
touch the BSD machine anymore.

If rarp is the only missing thing on Win95 you can use a BSD machine to
do just the rarp and everything else with Win95.

You know where to ask to get NetBSD support. ;-)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen