[geeks] non-recursive make

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Nov 10 12:46:09 CST 2005

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" []
"
" I used VPATH to tell make where to find the sources, and had .c.o and
" other rules to handle special cases.
"
" It was never elegant or portable though, which might be my fault, I
" don't know.
"
" The problem was that this depended on things which are often
" incompatible among make programs.

yupper!  VPATH comes from what used to be called nmake, from the at&t
toolchest [anyone else remember that?].  apparently it's also part of
sVr4.

" From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
"
"
" For example, here is the Makefile for a directory containing two
" []
" Is it portable? It depends on having a BSD make, but I *think*
" everything I've done should work onj pretty much any BSD make.

probably the most portable, as bsd make is likely closer to ancestral
make which both nmake and gnumake are supersets of.

" From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
"
" > []
"
" I tend to use GNU syntax, although there's nothing I do that you can't
" make portable.  There's probably a better way, but I would probably use
" []

gnumake is probably the most idiosyncratic, but is also itself the most
portable.

side q: does gnu make understand VPATH?