[geeks] non-recursive make

David Cummings real.psyence at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:58:25 CST 2005

you probably saw this, and I can't say I read it, but:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~evbergen/nonrecursive-make.html
also this:
http://www.electric-cloud.com/resources/DDJCrossPlatformBuilds.pdf

Again, sorry if you already saw these, but often i find stuff w/google
that others missed.
-dave

On 11/9/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Wed, 09 Nov 2005 @ 11:11 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:
>
> > Just have your Makefile reflect that structure:
> >
> > O_FILES=util/blah.o net/net.o
> >
> > bin/final_binary: ${O_FILES}
> >
> > util/blah.o: util/blah.c
> >
> > net/net.o: net/net.c
>
> The above is what I have now and at times it is a problem, and it is
> also inelegant and tedious, especially when first starting or converting
> a recursive project.
>
> I went fishing because I figured someone here might have thought the
> same thing and found a better idea than I did.
>
> Every once in awhile it helps to see what other people do.
>
> I used to do it by listing the objects organized into variables, and
> had rules to auto-generate the build rules.
>
> I used VPATH to tell make where to find the sources, and had .c.o and
> other rules to handle special cases.
>
> It was never elegant or portable though, which might be my fault, I
> don't know.
>
> The problem was that this depended on things which are often
> incompatible among make programs.
>
> Anyway, any ideas appreciated. I might just script a solution, which is
> what I used to do.  Just fishing for possible better ideas.
>

> --
> shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
> looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]

The way that can be named is not the Way.