[geeks] HP announces EOL for AlphaServer systems

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Nov 9 18:09:00 CST 2005

> If your 3GX sucks so much feel free to dispose of it by shipping it to me.
> ;-)

Sorry, that is the only laptop that I can really depend on (outside of
battery life).  My old Dell "died" a few times and I had to pull out my
3GX to keep me in business. I even have a backup for it!  My only
complaints about the 3GX is that it's a bit slow and I can't put a more
modern version of Solaris on it.  BTW, the Dell finally died, for good.

> As for the laptop I have a ThinkPad R51 that with the exception of not
> ordering the larger drive for it works quite well with both XP (ugh) and
> Ubuntu.  I think it all depends on what model you get.

Well, this is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but my son says his
e-machines are better.  He uses them constantly when he's home. (Damn,
his room is getting to look like the bridge of one of the ships on
"The Matrix")  I forget which model he has, but it has its "issues".

Bob