[geeks] Can I netboot...

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Nov 9 15:54:47 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 04:21:11PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Michael Parson wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:40:45PM +0100, Arno Kletzander wrote:
>>> Okay, that's enough - I'll quit violating the list's coolness
>>> threshold for now. Must remember that my own definition of coolness is
>>> obviously not dogmatical enough to be adequate here :-(.

<snip>

>> If you want to do sparc programming and netboot it, you're simply
>> going to need a different boot server than an old Microsoft offering.
>> Hardware of your vintage isn't going to run newer MS OSes very well,
>> and if you insist on sticking with them, you might want to give NT 4.0
>> (sp6a?) a shot.  You'll have much more flexibility in doing server-like
>> work than 95 is capable of.
>
> Have you considered OpenBSD?

The OP has insisted he wants to keep Windows on the box he's doing the
work on, and he wants to run custom code he's written on the Sparc,
not one of the existing available OSes.  I just suggested that for the
vintage hardware he's running, maybe NT 4 would be more suitable to the
task than 95 (for the bootp/tftp/bootparams/nfs cycle).

Even better would be one of the BSDs, but he seems resistant to that.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org