[geeks] non-recursive make

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Nov 9 10:35:32 CST 2005

For years, I have used recursive make to build projects, but have always
hated it.  It is an ugly hack and gets messy rather quick.

I would like to know if any of you know any good references to using
single make files to build projects, while still using a hierarchy for
source organization.

I have read the paper "Recursive Make Considered Harmful" but really
didn't get enough ideas out of it.

I'd like to try moving some projects to a non-recursive build, so any
pointers to references or sources already set up that way would be a big
help.

Note: In case it isn't obvious, I'm not looking for a make tutorial or
how to build in a single dir, I mean this kind of setup:

    project/
	Makefile
	util/
	    blah.c
	    blah.o
	net/
	    net.c
	    net.o
	bin/
	    final_binary

...rather than the traditional method:

    project/
	Makefile
	util/
	    Makefile
	    blah.c
	    blah.o
	net/
	    Makefile
	    net.c
	    net.o
	bin/
	    Makefile
	    final_binary

...where the master Makefile calls the others recursively.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]