[geeks] Finally! A USB "Model M"

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Nov 7 00:45:53 CST 2005

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> I have an exceedingly easy time.  I just use Model M's (or even older
> and clickier IBM keyboards) on everything I can.

Ah, so do I.

That isn't what I mean.  The Model M is not appropriate for every desk
and situation.

If you need something else, there really aren't any options right now
except mushy masterpieces.

> I use my Model M for gaming and media too.  I could care less about the
> extra useless buttons.

I don't use them either, but a lot of people find them useful, and it
would be nice if they were available on quality keyboards.

> One of my co-workers didn't believe me when I told him that I could get
> much of what he does with a mouse done with a keyboard quicker than he
> could move his hand to his mouse.  Then I proved it.

It is, for some things, but I've never understood the "one true way"
mentality of some people.

Plan 9 is interesting because they did away with cursor addressing and
good keyboard control.  They wrote a paper which explains how much
faster using the mouse is.  I did the same tests myself on myself and
others, and my stopwatch didn't agree with theirs.

Which input device turned out fastest in my tests depended on the job
being done.  There are times when either one might be superior, which is
why we have both, even though the zealots on either side won't admit it.

> That's one of the newer Lexmark-made ones with the attached cable and
> drainage channels, no?  The original Model M's are definitely heavier
> than the Lexmark-made ones.

Drainage channel?

They originals are heavier, but only a little.  It's mainly just the
metal plate.  The new ones are close enough that it doesn't matter.

If you really want something heavy, get an old Northgate Omnikey.
That's the heaviest PC keyboard I ever used.

I think someone might still make them, but I don't know if they are the
same or not.

> I just use the same Model M I've been using since December 1987.  I
> suspect it's probably going to outlast me.

I've worn two IBM keyboards out, but they were repairable.

I think a lot have been thrown out when they really just needed a little
TLC.

Most "broken" IBM keyboards are just dirty.

> What I wouldn't hesitate to plunk down $100 or more for would be a Model
> M with Trackpoint and Bluetooth.

Like I said, there are a lot of useful features on keyboards which would
be nice if they came on quality keyboards.