[geeks] FS: KuroBox/Buffalo Linkstation

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu May 26 22:50:19 CDT 2005

Turns out I'm not using this as much as I thought I would,
so I'm going to just go back to an external HD.

Buffalo Linkstation 120G:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=36&categoryid=16

I've installed the "Kuro Box" firmware:
http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

Basically for all purposes turning it into a KuroBox:
http://kurobox.com/

(this lets you manually pick partition sizes for a reinstall, etc).

Its an embedded Linux box, that among other things provides shared
NFS/SMB/CIFS network storage and USB ports to be a printserver (or
whatever else you want to hook up to it).

Linux (none) 2.4.17_kuro-box #4 2004G/ 4?? 16?? ?????? 11:45:05 JST ppc unknown

root at FILER:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : 82xx
revision        : 16.20 (pvr 8081 1014)
bogomips        : 129.43
vendor          : Motorola SPS
machine         : Sandpoint
processor       : PVID: 0x80811014, vendor: Motorola

I've put GCC on it, have compiled things like Ruby, Apache, etc.

"Real" KuroBoxes (without a HD) are now $130, so I'll sell it for
$125 OBO (shipping included).

Bill

--
bill bradford