[geeks] Oh for the love of Steve (Jobs, that is)...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 9 10:17:20 CDT 2005

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 04:05:41PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>>Still... what idiot designs a computer that requires tricks like that to
>>open up?
>

> This computer isn't *designed* to be upgraded by the end user.  They
> want the typical owner (people new to Macs) to take them to an Apple
> Store to be upgraded.

I realize criticizing Apple is considered blaspheme, but this really
sounds like an excuse rather than a justification.

If I take a computer to Apple for repair, I still want it to be a design
that is easy to open.  The iPod and the mini both are risky to open no
matter who you are.

It is worth noting that iPods serviced by Apple sometimes come back
loose because of damage to the case tabs.

It's just not a good idea for something which has parts subject to
frequent failure, to be difficult to open up.

Fortunately, they aren't hard to fix once open.