[geeks] concerning MS Windows Vista screen shots now available...

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Jul 29 07:18:33 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 04:30, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
>
> > Wow, what a crappy interface...
>
> Yeah, they really hit "peak oil" with UI cleanliness (not necessarily
> attractive, but usable) with NT4's widget kit.

That was when they were fighting command line Unix and CDE, so they had to have something usable for admins to feel like their time wasn't being wasted.

Give me NeXTSTep on a modern Unix any day.  The X to close was on the other side of the window, and menus for each app automatically showed and hid themselves.

> It's like they jumbled crap around -just- to make it different, rather
> than applying any sense of logic to it.

Unless they feel for some reason that this will force lock-in and encourage upgrades, as the interface is different enough to have to switch between XP and Vista that you would want all your machines on one or the other.

--Patrick