[geeks] security-conscious backup

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Jul 27 18:21:21 CDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for this scenario?
>
> I have a customer who does tax-related work for his clients.  He wants
> to backup over the internet to a Solaris 10 machine I have.
>
> The files he places on my system should not be accessed by anyone other
> than him (i.e. not even root should have the ability to decrypt and read
> the files).  His machines are all Windows and I want to avoid having him
> buy a lowend Linux machine (which he would backup to, then a cron script
> would encrypt and upload).
>
> Any suggestions?  I looked into CryptFS but it does not seem to be too
> well supported.

Since you don't apparently need the ability to access the files on
your system, can't he just encrypt on his machine using the Windoze
encryption method of his choice and then transfer them to you via some
agreed-upon transport?

When I need to xfer from a Windoze box to a unix box over the internet,
I usually use zmodem over an ssh connection.  Ssh across from Windoze,
type "rz" and my ssh app pops up a standard Windoze file browser where
I select my files and click "OK."  If he automates the ssh login,
it's pretty much click, type "rz", click again, and drool.

There may be some sftp clients for Windoze.  Dunno.

-DanD

# For those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they
# like.  -- Abraham Lincoln
#