[geeks] Perl 5.8.7 on Solaris

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jul 21 10:52:42 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:09:04AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Has anyone successfully cimpiled Perl-5.8.7 on Solaris using any of:
> gcc-3.2.3, gcc-3.3.2, gcc-3.4.2?

mrbill at ohno:~> perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.7 built for sun4-solaris

Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

mrbill at ohno:~> gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/sfw/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.4.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c+ : (reconfigured) ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2

> How about with threading enabled and ithreads?
> How about with maximal 64-bitness enabled?

Haven't tried either of those.

> No matter what I do or how I do it, the compile ALWAYS dies with a bus
> error trying to create miniperl, and from that point onward *everything*
> bus-errors.  Any clues, ideas, suggestions...?

Did you compile your own GCC, or are you using the sunfreeware package?
I'm using the sunfreeware package, as well as GNU make.

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas