[geeks] Dumb question - how to send myself a virus signature (to test AV software)?

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 13:34:15 CDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:26:45 -0500 (CDT), Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Seems to me that an AV software vendor must have some provision to
> send innocuous email that matches their signature database to test an
> installation - any pointers?

Eicar test virus. Try :-

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

By a strange coincidence I've been sending it a large number of times
myself to test dual engine virus scanning. If you want a real virus, let
me know as I've got one or two sitting in my malware archive (some AV
engines aren't helpful in their formatting of reports on the eicar
'virus').