[geeks] OSX 10.4.2, FireFox 1.0.5 out

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Fri Jul 15 13:23:58 CDT 2005

jdboyd at jdboyd.net writes:

>On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:37:16AM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:

>> As far as a Sun taking a long time to boot, try booting some of the
>> early Ultra Enterprise class boxes with diag-switch? set to true and
>> diag-level set to max. =)

>> Might be 5 minutes before you even see something on the console.

>I've heard reports that the fastest POWER machines manage to boot more
>slowly.

The great thing about AIX on POWER is... no interaction, no machine
monitor prompt, and no information untill the system is pretty much
all the way up.

Oh yes, except for the 3-digit LED display on the front panel.

Lovely. Ugh.

>> But the UNIX Haters' Handbook was refering to UNIX Workstations, so they
>> were probably refering to Sun3 or early Sparcs, which compared to the
>> LISP machines they usually replaced, they did boot pretty quickly.

>Now to just get one of those LISP machines in running condition at a
>price I can afford.

Those SMD drives start to get flakey after a few decades...

------- David Fischer -------- dave at cca.org ----- http://www.cca.org ------