[geeks] OSX 10.4.2, FireFox 1.0.5 out

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 11:55:04 CDT 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:31:18 -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Well, a Sun might take 10 minutes, but how long does a Symbolics, LMI,
> or TI take to boot?  45?

A Lisp Machine may have taken 45 minutes to boot if it was running
interpreted Lisp rather than compiled (probably quite likely in the
early days) but I'm pretty sure a Symbolics didn't take that long.

I watched one boot once after I managed to crash it ... it was the
fileservers for the programmers so they *really* wanted to know when it
was ready. It's too long for any kind of accuracy but I would say more
like 5-10 minutes ... if it had been anything like 30-60 minutes, the
programmers would have been off to lunch.