[geeks] OSX 10.4.2, FireFox 1.0.5 out

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 14 14:07:08 CDT 2005

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: Thu Jul 14 11:01:11 CDT 2005
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] OSX 10.4.2, FireFox 1.0.5 out

>Thu, 14 Jul 2005 @ 09:36 -0400, Kurt Huhn said:
>> MHz != speed.
>
>I don't believe that's what he is saying.
>
>He's saying that the clock speeds of Intel/AMD CPUs are being boosted so
>much that they are making up for architectural issues.

Point of reference (not an expert): The Pentium 4 CPUs when they first came out in the 1.5 -> 2.0 GHz speed range were challenged to best 1 GHz Pentium III CPUs. The difference between the PIII and P4 CPUs appears to be less work performed per clock cycle (on average)... Of course, subsequent Pentium 4 CPUs have much faster I/O speeds (frontbus, etc.), and the difference is more profound.

These are casual observations of desktop users, not benchmarks in controlled environments...