[geeks] OSX 10.4.2, FireFox 1.0.5 out

Jonathan Groll jonathanjg at wo.co.za
Thu Jul 14 03:28:34 CDT 2005

Kurt Huhn wrote:

>On Jul 13, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Jonathan Groll wrote:
>

>>On a similar note, it will be enlightening to read what speed
>>improvements there will be when os x runs fully natively on intel
>>(without rosetta), logically it just makes sense that the fastest Ghz
>>intel chip is faster than the fastest 2.7? Ghz G5
>>

>That's a troll, right?
>
>MHz is not a valid indicator of speed, capability, or ability to
>gracefully handle load.  A 350Z makes 287 horsepower, my truck (when I
>owned it) made 240.  Does that mean that a 350Z can tow as much, haul
>as much, and get more people to their destination?
>
>--

Seriously not intended as a troll. Granted, many, many factors come into
play when doing comparisons, only one of which is clock speed. However,
many of us, and for too long now have blithely accepted the apple gospel
that PPC is the inherently "superior" architecture. Surely, though,
there must come a time when a processor with enough pure 'grunt' can
outperform one that is slower but more able?

Take a look at today's slashdot:
(Intel Developer Macs Outperform G5s)
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/05/07/13/2057231.shtml?tid=174&tid=3

-JJG