[geeks] Google invests in BPL

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Jul 12 21:16:13 CDT 2005

> >"Current Communications, a Germantown, Md.-based company providing
> >broadband over power lines (BPL), said the investment would offer
> >consumers a faster alternative outlet for voice, video and data
> >services."
>
> Faster voice outlet than packet-switched phone network? Faster video than
> broadcast TV? I don't get it, but I suspect I'm not the target market for thier
> offering...

BPL is being found to be not cost effective and radiates enough RF crap to
seriously hamper radio communications througout the HF frequencies.  Amateur
radio operators have been spearheading the fight against it.  The FCC has
been siding with the BPL people in spite of evidence that it causes more
problems than it solves and that the companies have not been doing anything
significant to reduce the interference.  Most test systems have been shut
down (sometimes earlier than scheduled) because the results didn't fulfill
the promise.

Bob