[geeks] GPS antenna connector question

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Jul 12 16:18:57 CDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I have great skepticism, myself.  If it cools that fast once powered
> off, it can't have enough thermal mass to matter worth a damn, and
> that's a recipe for dry joints.

The unit itself really only gets hot as a side effect.  The tip is
split in half and the two halves are electrically insulated
from each other.  It actually heats the joint/solder itself by running
current through it.  I'm not sure I'd WANT to use it for small
electronic components, but hooking wires together might be ok.
I haven't bought one because I'm not sure how versatile it is
and I already have a butane powered iron and a 12V (cigarette lighter
plug) iron for portable use and a few AC-powered ones otherwise.  I
like to use really skinny solder so it melts very quickly on even a
low-powered iron.

-DanD

# It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.  -Cecile Stewart