[geeks] GPS antenna connector question

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Jul 12 16:11:27 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:06:23PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Dan Duncan wrote:
>> Has anyone used those new "cold solder" units I keep seeing on
>> tv?  I read up on how they work, but I've never known
>> anyone who actually used one.
>
> I have great skepticism, myself.  If it cools that fast once powered
> off, it can't have enough thermal mass to matter worth a damn, and
> that's a recipe for dry joints.

It'll reflow solder on a pad pretty quickly (3-5s?) from first contact.
The longer you have it heating, the longer it takes to cool back off.
With the longest I've had it on (may 20 seconds?), it was cool to the
touch w/i another 20s.

Like I said in the other post, fine for a quick touch-up, but I wouldn't
assemble any real projects with it.  Maybe for soldering the ends of my
speaker wires or something.  I bought it mostly out of curiosity.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org