[geeks] GPS antenna connector question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jul 12 14:54:02 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:43:49PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Anyone have any info/pointers on using GPS signal for my own NTP source?
> Ideally, I like to hook a $100 GPS receiver to a serial (or USB) port on a
> machine and have it "just work", but I fear it is not so simple...

Get something that speaks NMEA, then:

somewhere on here:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html

You can setup ntpd to take a time source from an attached GPS.
I'm actually going to do this at home once my SV6-CM3 sits in the window
long enough to re-acquire almanac data (may take 2-3 days).

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas