[geeks] SGI Sadness

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jul 11 00:58:03 CDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> How many of us actually influence buying decisions at work?

*me raises hand*

$ork tends to buy the hardware I tell them they need, and we typically
get great milage out of it; the few times they didn't, they ended up
doing so after all.  Now, if they'd just start to trust me on software
so that they don't repeat the mistake of blowing a couple hundred
kilobucks on a suit-friendly[0] bloated piece of text-transformation
software rather than hiring a Perl programmer.

Said bloated software will probably result in a rather large check going
to IBM, as a POWER3-II system just isn't fast enough for it.

Because, OF COURSE, you need a > 1GHz POWER4+ processor to convert CSV
files to XML and to do EBCDIC<->ASCII transformation prior to stuffing
things into Orrible.  Apparently, with this sfotware, you do, as well as
more than 2GB of memory.  Bah!

/me grumbles.

[0] OMG!  You can clicky-clicky with the mousey thing to make the
     software move the text around!
--
Jonathan Patschke ) "Beatniks and politics, nothing is new.
Elgin, TX        (   A yardstick for lunatics: one point of view."