[geeks] Windows wireless annoyances

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 11:35:54 CDT 2005

On 7/6/05, Matthew Braun <geeks at leydenjar.com> wrote:
> This may be a bit off topic, but I hope someone can give me a quick
> pointer as having to deal with the desktop machines in my office is
> getting to be a pain in the arse.
>
> I started a new job that has nothing to do with computers, but (of
> course) I've been sucked into desktop support as the 2 tech guys are
> in Chicago (and I'm in Vegas now). Most of the problems come from the
> wireless network screwing up (we've got Cisco client adapters, but a
> Linksys base station which keeps crapping out). When the wireless
> goes down, the desktops automatically re-associate with one of two
> open networks that are within range, even though they're not on the
> preferred networks list. This causes no end of annoyance on my part
> ("Maaattt! I can't print again!").
>
> So I was wondering, in the interests of workplace peace and quiet, if
> anyone knows of a way to mandate that one and only one wireless
> network can be associated with in Windows XP?

Your problem suggests that your XP machines don't have SP 2
installed.  You can try that as it's supposed to help.  Also be
aware that M$ does not support non-broadcast SSIDs.  You can
also try using the wireless cards' software instead of allowing
Windows to manage the connection--if it's available to do that.

As for the Linksys, it's likely that it's crapping out b/c it's running
out of TCP connections that are not being closed.  The default is
1024 (or 512, can't recall) connections and the timeout is *5* days
on half-open connections.  I'd suggest installing a 3rd party firmware
such as Sveasoft, where the defaults can be changed to something
saner.

=Nadine=