[geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 5 17:18:19 CDT 2005

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 08:55:08PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>>If they are all pre-built, then why is there a build delay?
>

> I'd say my SC420 from Dell was prebuilt; it shipped the morning after
> I ordered it.  Then again, they probably have a bunch sitting in certain
> configs waiting to be shipped out when they have a special..

Maybe the time mentioned is just CYA boilerplate unless you order one
that really does require a new build.

There is something else too that makes me wonder about them being prebuilt.

Pre-built inventories are something that a lot of businesses want to avoid.

There was an article from IEEE that talked about just-in-time
manufacturing in the computer industry, one of the benefits being
reduced inventory of "stock" system configurations.

Dell was one of the examples.

I mean who knows, that's just what I read.