[geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 5 09:48:45 CDT 2005

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: Tue Jul 05 08:29:46 CDT 2005
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

>On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 07:41, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Yeah, it is not a dream workstation, it is an affordable workstation. I think as far as the drive bay issue goes, the Sun "Philosophy" is to have crucial data centralized, not out on the edges of the network on a workstation...
>
>I can't believe all you guys moaning and groaning over the specs.

Just to be clear, I wasn't moaning and groaning over the specs...

>It includes ALL the Sun dev tools you are likely to use.  And it includes support for 3 years.

The "free" workstations include support, but I have an issue with the $360 bill arriving each year (I'd prefer to pay upfront, but that's a personal preference - two years from now, am I really going to be happy to write another $360 check?)

>Clearly it is targeted at developers who need to develop apps on Solaris.

Like the $995 developer Apple desktops... ;^)

>How much is Sun Studio 10 if you were to buy it separately?

Agreed...