[geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 4 10:54:04 CDT 2005

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 @ 18:07 -0400, Kurt Huhn said:

> On Jul 2, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >>

> >>   - it's a peecee
> >
> > What does that have to do with it?
> >

> Everything, or nothing, whatever.
>
> > I can build a PC with excellent power supplies, HT busses, PCI-X,
> > multiple CPUs...
> >

> I'm sure, but you end up with a peecee in the end.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the limitations in question.

> I do not like the peecee architecture one iota - just in case that
> wasn't clear from my sarcasm.

I don't either, but it provides power at a price I can afford.

Plus the PC/XT/AT architecture is gone, has been for awhile now.  It
only exists as a hardware emulation, and you can avoid most of it.  Just
getting the newer interrupt controllers has been a huge improvement.

The modern PC looks more like an Apple than a PC/AT, except for that
horrible BIOS.

PCI-E architecture should make yet more welcome changes.

Unfortunately, Microsoft holds things back by refusing to update their
HAL to allow for dumping most of the emulation.

There is no reason for most of the PC legacy hardware to exist in
emulation, it's a largely artificial requirement, and that includes the
stupid BIOS.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty