[geeks] (sigh) BestBuy official documentation...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 2 13:02:31 CDT 2005

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> If someone ever tells me that with a straight face, I'm going to
> deliver the verbal equivalent of a spanking.  That brand of bullshit
> serves no purpose - it doesn't even help sell units.
>
> Criminy, people can be so stupid.

I'm not even slightly surprised about this kind of thing.

Maybe you should sit down...

OK, a few years ago I had to wipe a laptop in the field.  My boss said
it had a computer virus, and his new car had a computer controlled
engine.  He was afraid to take it back to work until I had made sure the
virus was gone and wouldn't infect the car.

Did you ever see the movie "Independence Day", where a Mac computer
virus infected an alien spacecraft?

At a previous $JOB my idiot boss (and I don't just mean computer
illiterate) made a friend of mine check all of our Perl code for viruses
before it was released to the customers.

Perl code that *we* wrote ourselves.

Perl.

Using a *Windows* virus checking program.

Perl code sources.

We had to check our own Perl code.

I still can't wrap my head around that one.

Even the company idiots thought that one was hilarious.  They knew
nothing about viruses, but were still keen enough to wonder why he would
have the only people who could have written the "virus" do the checking
for it.