[geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jul 1 22:00:31 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 07:17:05PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Regarding the U20, there are some things which I find lacking in
> comparison to other machines in its class:
>
>     - it has only two drive bays
>     - only 33MHz 32-bit PCI: it should have PCI-X
>     - only a pair of SATA ports... even on workstations I want the
>       option of at least 3 drives: 1 for OS, a pair for data.
>
> It seems like they skimped a bit to me.

Doesn't the machine offer more than one PCI-E slot?

Although, with a graphics card in one slot, that only leaves one for
something else.  That's not too terrible I suppose, but having just a
bit more would have been nicer, like say for both a video IO card AND
raid instead of one or the other.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net