[geeks] Man -> paper

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Jan 23 12:44:50 CST 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 10:50:35AM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:43:15 -0500
> Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
> > It seems that Irix ships formatted rather than unformatted man pages,
> > which would prevent my from using troff/nroff/groff directly.
> That is the problem. Without unformatted man pages somthing like
> man man | a2ps -2
> may be the best way to get it on paper.

I ended up going with man man > dump, then I moved dump to another
machine to convert to postscript.  I don't see a2ps on the Octane.  I
don't know why.

Anyway, converting dump to postscript then printing on ubuntu worked,
but all the page breaks are wrong, which is rather annoying.  But, there
might not be anything to do about it other than edit the txt file by hand.

> On NetBSD something like
> groff -mdoc /usr/share/man/man1/man.1 | lpr
> will get you there.

Is that for a formatted or unformatted netbsd man page?