[geeks] Recommendations on an Ethernet Switch?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Jan 16 16:58:04 CST 2005

Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:05:10 -0500
>Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:
>

>>The rack is in a
>>closet that has the door mostly closed all of the time, open enough for
>>air to flow and not cook the closet, but closed enough to keep a lot of
>>the noise from coming into the room.
>>

>How much stuff do you have in the rack, and how cool is the room outside the closet? I'd like to do this with my rack, but I have been afraid that unless I have some sort of vent to the attic, it would charbroil the closet and rack gear :).

(responding to an old message since i'm lazy and it took me this long to
actually take and post pictures)

I have this much stuff in the rack:
http://dansikorski.com/closet/dooropen.jpg

and i have it open this much: (you can barely see the bungee cords
attached to the shelf that i use to keep the door in place)
http://dansikorski.com/closet/doorclosed.jpg

The room stays a few degrees F warmer than the rest of the apartment
(has my main PC in the room, and quite often, me), so it's probably
about 73-74F.  The closet stays a few degrees warmer than that, probably
75-76F.  Having the door closed like that greatly decreases the amount
of fan and drive noise that makes it into the room.  I've thought about
adding a vent to go through the wall into the closet where my furnace
and water heater are, but haven't, that would require effort. :)

    -Dan Sikorski