[geeks] Recommendations on an Ethernet Switch?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Jan 5 13:05:10 CST 2005

velociraptor wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:00:51 -0500, Ido Dubrawsky <idubraws at dubrawsky.org> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:19:55PM -0600, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
>>

>>>FWIW, i got a Cisco Catalyst 5000 on ebay over a year ago for about $200
>>>with redundant power supplies and a 24 port 10/100 card.  It's
>>>everything you could ever want from a 10/100 switch, and a whole lot more.
>>>

>>Including the noise? :-)
>>

>And the space it takes up? :-D

Yes, and yes. :) Actually the space isn't a big issue, i have it mounted
in the top of my rack, and only run one power supply most of the time
because the fan in the second one is noisy as hell.  The rack is in a
closet that has the door mostly closed all of the time, open enough for
air to flow and not cook the closet, but closed enough to keep a lot of
the noise from coming into the room.

    -Dan Sikorski