[geeks] Recommendations on an Ethernet Switch?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Wed Jan 5 13:04:13 CST 2005

    Micah> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 1:18:30 +0000 Lionel Peterson
    Micah> <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

    >> 24 port 10/100 Netgear switch (rack mount ears!) $79 After
    >> Rebate:
    >> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294497&pfp=010205sale

    Micah> Looks awesome... but after my experience with bargain
    Micah> switches, hubs, and routers, I'm sort of afraid to buy them
    Micah> anymore. Does anyone have an opinion of Netgear stuff?

We have dozens of Netgear hubs, and a couple of unmanaged switches, and
I can only recall one failure, and that one was a hub that completely
stopped working.  I haven't yet bothered to figure out if it was the hub
or power supply that failed.  At present they are my vendor of choice
for unmanaged gear.

    Micah> ... (needs to be powercycled all the time, won't remember
    Micah> settings, crappy throughput, whatever).

I've never used anything from Netgear that had settings, so I can't say
if they have any problems there, and have never needed to power cycle
anything of theirs (and unlike some no-names, they have never locked up
due to power glitches either).  As far as throughput, I've never needed
to check that in any part of the network where I have Netgear equipment
deployed, so I can't say.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator