[geeks] Good low-end AMD 64bit system?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 4 00:28:38 CST 2005

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 @ 23:31 -0500, Dan Sikorski said:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> >I'm going to possibly build a low-end 64-bit AMD system in the next
> >couple of weeks.  The only real experience I've had with building
> >'semi-recent'
> >x86 hardware in the past 2-3 years is my VIA EPIA C3-based mini-ITX stuff;
> >I've not touched any of the AMD offerings since the Athlon Thunderbird.
> >
> >Suggestions on chips, motherboards, etc?  I'll go with a GeForce FX 5x00
> >series AGP video card...
> >

> If i were you, i would not consider getting anything other than a nvidia
> NForce4 chipset, which will mean that you'll need a pci express video
> card, not agp.  Josh Snyder (who is on the rescue list, but not geeks
> and is cc'ed on this message) could tell you all the details about what
> boards to get.

Hmmm... my worry with the nforce boards is that you only get binary
drivers and the don't provide documentation for their chipsets.

A lot of people not running Windows have trouble with them.

nVidia is supporting Linux for now, but if they ever end-of-life your
motherboard, it likely won't work with future OS releases.

I don't believe they support *BSD systems at all, though I'd love to be
wrong about that.

I just worried about it enough that I avoided all things nforce.  I run
FreeBSD and NetBSD, so I don't want a board that isn't fully supported.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.