[geeks] Recommendations on an Ethernet Switch?

Jonathan Sadler sadler+geeks at homesys.org
Mon Jan 3 13:38:18 CST 2005

Hi all -

New to geeks, though I have been lurking on rescue for about 4 years...

I'm starting a new project[1] for my house net, and find I need to "grow up"
and get a real Ethernet switch to replace the 6 or so cascaded $20 10/100
switches I have.  However, since cash at this time of the year is always
stretched <g>, I'm looking to get it as cheap as possible...

Necessary specs:

* a handful to a bunch of 10/100 ports (at least 8 -- 16 prefered)
* 2x 1000BaseT ports
* IGMP Snooping

I've found a number of venders that make switches that meet these reqirements
(Dell, Linksys, Cisco, SMC, Netgear, etc.) but am looking to keep the cost
as low as possible... (cheapest I've found so far on ePay is ~$200)

Any thoughts?

Jonathan Sadler

[1] Ob.Tickler: IPTV is starting to become a big deal at work -- looking to
  develop the skills so I can duck the next axe-swing...