[geeks] Adobe's Software Activation

kevin at mpcf.com kevin at mpcf.com
Mon Feb 21 14:42:53 CST 2005

While perusing Adobe's website I found the following Q&A in regards to their
software activation:

Question:

Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?

Answer:

"As long as you don't "low-level" reformat your hard drive, you will not be
required to reactivate your Adobe software. Please note that utilities
(provided by the operating system vendor) typically used for reformatting
the hard drive do not perform a "low-level" reformat."

Does this sound like BS to anyone else?  I mean, you can repartition, ease
and change file system types all without low leveling a drive.  How (and
where) could Adobe products actually write data that would not get erased if
I say.... repartitioned a drive and changed its file system from FAT32 to
XFS, then once more to NTFS?  None of this would involve low leveling a
drive, but it's hard for me to believe that Adobe could stash data somewhere
safe from all of that.  Are they writing crap to the MBR or something or is
this just BS?

Just Curious,

/KRM