[geeks] Electronics

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Aug 31 05:35:55 CDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 10:30:37PM -0600, Dave Kimmel wrote:
> http://djk.smugmug.com/photos/34161579-M.jpg
> http://djk.smugmug.com/photos/34161670-M.jpg

I immediately thought of this:

http://olafval.de/mignon/english/index.htm
Same type of LED matrix with an AVR, as a "game kit".

> The processor that I'll be using is an ATMega16 microcontroller and
> I'm going to try using a NES controller as the input device.  I
> haven't figured out too many of the details yet.

I'm going to be putting all the pin headers on my AVR Butterfly
this weekend - it's based around at ATMega169.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/784154/

Last night (Tuesday) I finished another one of my kits, this time a
backlit 1x16 LCD display with backlight (by Velleman):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/855039/

Night before that, I did a Ramsey kit, an amplified antenna:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/847284/

I've got one more Ramsey kit (a shortwave receiver) to do, then after
that and the AVR I think I'll finally be confident enough to tackle the
Southern Cross SBC:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/739140/

Man, I love this stuff!

Pictures of all of my projects so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/

Just realized that in a month, I've gone from not knowing how to solder
at all, to having a nice temperature-controlled Weller iron (yay ebay)
and being able to do stuff that I wouldnt have *touched* a month ago.

My first-ever soldering attempt looks horrible now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/31059934/in/set-693178/

I look at it and *CRINGE* compared to what I did, say, last night on the
LCD kit.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford