[geeks] Multiport serial cards for Linux?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Wed Aug 24 09:54:12 CDT 2005

    Bill> Any suggestions on multiport serial cards for Linux?  I'm
    Bill> looking at building up a machine to run Conserver to replace a
    Bill> Cisco 2511.

I inherited some Cyclades stuff, and have been satisfied with it.  The
ones I have are "Cyclades-Ze/PCI" boards, two systems with one 16 port
expansion box, one with 2 (32 ports).  All three systems have been
running fine on 200-300 MHz PCs with RedHat 7 (although it is a
customized kernel).

I also have an older Digi PortServer box, which I'm using both for
legacy dial-in and for some outgoing serial stuff.  I'm less satisfied
with that, as occasionally ports hang.  The usual problems of a separate
box exist, i.e. lack of customization.  I think you are correct in
wanting to go with an interface card in the Linux box.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator