[geeks] MAC - IP address

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Thu Aug 18 15:59:43 CDT 2005

Bryan Fullerton wrote:
> On 8/18/05, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at liftport.com> wrote:
>
>>If the device is set to acquire it's IP via DHCP, I should be able to
>>
>>arp -s 172.2.3.4 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>>
>>(where 172.2.3.4 is an unused IP on the net)
>>
>>and then ftp/telnet in, grab the setting file and then I'll know what
>>it's IP is, pass that along to a label printing application and all is
>
> well.
>
> Erm, no - the device isn't going to respond requests sent to an IP
> address that isn't configured, even if you get the packets through
> it's lower protocol layers.
>
> There should be some way to check which MAC is assigned which IP on
> your DHCP server, unless it's entirely useless.
>
> Bryan

Ah - my memory just kicked in.  I have done this but with the device
connected to en0 with a cross-over cable.  NOT over the network.  Rats.

If I can get to the DHCP server ... SOX standards dictate 'silos' for
work and DHCP is not one of my silos.  I'm playing these games because
the time to get a static IP from our network group is six + weeks and
the end users who are ordering the printers reasonably expect us to move
faster.  Political games.  Note this is for the paying day job not (heh)
the domain where my email comes from.

The input is appreciated.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks