[geeks] Weird file sharing question

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 08:56:05 CDT 2005

On 8/9/05, Mike Meredith <mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:06:12 -0400, Francois Dion wrote:
> > [A]<---->[B]<------->[switch]<-------[C]
> >
> > Is there something trivial I'm missing?
>
> Turn on IP routing on box B. Don't know how well that would work with
> 2003 or whether there's another reason why it won't work, but it's
> certainly what I'd try :-
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323339

Even before getting to routing between [A] and [C], even with just two
machines, whereas under Solaris I can NFS mount another machine and
then share it thru Samba, It is easily demonstrated that WIndows will
not let you share non local drives.

Simple test: on a windows 2003 server (even on windows 2000 server or
desktop), mount a remote share as a local drive, say G:.

then: net share nextlayer=g:\
"The resource named cannot be shared
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3736."

ok: net helpmsg 3736
"The resource named cannot be shared
EXPLANATION
You cannot share this resource.
ACTION
No action is needed."

SIGH...

A Solaris host would have no trouble taking the place of [B]. However,
that machine is under corporate authority, and we cannot do that. If
it had been me, we wouldn't have a single windows server...

Any other suggestion? There has got to be a way to get around that.
What makes Windows decide it can or cannot share (a NAS for example).

Francois